mailto links from Chrome w/Thunderbird

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Apr 4 23:34:19 UTC 2013

On 04/04/2013 06:19 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On 04/04/2013 06:17 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>> If I click on a mailto link in Firefox, Thunderbird opens up a new email
>> with "user at domain.com" in the address field. If I click on the same link
>> in Chrome, Thunderbird displays "mailto:user at domain.com" in the address
>> field.
>>
>> Anyone have an idea where in Chrome I might fix this?
>>

> http://thelinuxsite.wordpress.com/2013/03/01/how-to-make-chromiumchrome-launch-thunderbird-when-clicking-on-mailto-links/#more-1875
>

>   Do all the steps and your troubles should be over...even if you don't
> use Gnome. I use Chrome and T'bird and it works fine for me.
>
>   YMMV

The steps:

mkdir -p ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto

    Directory already exists

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto/command -t string
'thunderbird %s'

    This is already set

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto/enabled -t bool true

     likewise, already set

 sudo sed 's/open_generic "${mailto}"/open_gnome "${mailto}"/' -i
/usr/bin/xdg-email

      entry already exists

As I mentioned, it's not that mailto links aren't opening TBird, it's
that an extra mailto: gets put in as part of the adress, but only with
Chrome. Firefox works as expected.

--
-- Steve