FedUp

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 14:11:39 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:

> After the initial problems with FedUp, I read last night over on
> Bugzilla about its progress & the latest testing (which looks like it's
> going to go stable next week) is looking pretty solid.
>
> So the question is, is everybody been happy with the upgrade process via
> FedUp lately?

For me no. I've tried it twice for F-17->18 and both times it was a
complete disaster. The first time on my desktop it couldn't find ANY of the
packages that it downloaded and left my system completely unusable. The
second time on my work laptop which I had working happily with safeboot
(work requirement) it only found "most" of the packages it downloaded and I
could boot, but that's about it. After trying to reinstall fresh with F18
it would no longer boot XP due to safeboot and I had to get my whole system
reimaged at work. Now that it's on the whole drive and encrypted, it's
going to be far more risky to try and put Fedora back on it. So not only
did the upgrade fail, but now I can't dual boot anymore.

Anyway, I hope it actually IS stable, not just going stable.

Just my two data points...

Richard