FC18 kernel command lines

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Apr 7 04:27:07 UTC 2013

Two simple suggestions for install, upgrade, etc.

1 - fix the kernel command line options, I think one was console font, replace
the ones which the kernel labels as "obsolete" and/or "archaic" with something
which works silently with the kernels installed.

2 - for reasons religious, political, or egotistical, Fedora doesn't use working
vendor video drivers for chips sets identified as nVidia, ATI, Radeon, etc.
Would it be too much to ask to always without fail provide a boot line using
VESA driver for display, and rather than do whatever is current, use a screen
size large enough to hold some minimum number of characters? The install on one
netbook picked 320x200 for screen resolution, and it seems the vga= option is no
longer supported (maybe just vga=ask). In any case, the default kernel drivers
for these video cards only work right on a subset of chips, and a lot of users
don't know, and don't want to know, how to edit the kernel command line in the
middle of the boot sequence to overcome the issue.

3 - I know of no way to tell if "nomodeset" will make things better or worse, so
I make no suggestion other than users who know how to edit the kernel command
line can try inverting that option (remove if present, add if not) if all else
fails to initialize the video at boot.

I'm sure these suggestions for improvement will be flamed as criticism, followed
by the users of the subset of working chips claiming that the drivers are fixed
because it works on their hardware.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have