getting back from a black screen

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:57:18 UTC 2013

On 04/07/2013 10:45 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It happens often enough that I leave the computer long enough for it
> to blacken the screen. Is there a combination key stroke to get x back?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard

You can always check the display settings on your System Settings tool.

I use KDE. For a long time KDE blanked out the screen, and all I had to
do was move the mouse to un-blank it. Then came the locking option.

But then I installed the kde-screensaver package. (There's one for
gnome, too; I don't know about XFCE or other desktops.) Then at last I
could use the plethora of options I once had under xscreensaver. Only
now they're built-in to System Settings and do not try to load as a
separate terminate/stay-resident routine. I set my screensaver to
display a slideshow, based on the same options I use to show a
"slideshow wallpaper."

I also made sure to set screensaver on, and turn the lock off. (My
computer is in a room that only I ever visit.)

Temlakos