getting back from a black screen

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Mon Apr 8 16:07:38 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 11:24 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 08 April 2013, Richard Vickery sent:
>> In the case where you have sensitive information that you don't want
>> people looking at it, or children deleting it, how does one get back
>> from this screen without rebooting and losing ones work?
>
> As soon as you go for the mouse or keyboard, a logon prompt appears for
> you to type in the password.
>
> If that's not happening, then it's not a screensaver lockout that you're
> facing.  But most likely a graphics crash.  Sometimes that's caused by a
> screensaver, some of them are just not that well written, and crash when
> they're fired up.

Don't mean to take this too OT, but this is now sounding like the
regular "graphics crash" I have whenever I wake my laptop up from
hibernation.  Happens consistently with all 3.8.x kernels so far; not
with the last 3.7.x kernel.
--
Tim Evans			|   5 Chestnut Court
UNIX System Admin Consulting	|   Owings Mills, MD 21117
http://www.come-here.com/News/	|   tkevans at tkevans.com