What is Fedora 18 acpi_osi default? Or, seeking consistent power management.

Noah Cutler sit1way at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 21:36:10 UTC 2013

Have been working out some kinks with recently acquired Dell M4700
Precision workstation.

Out of the box everything just works (impressive compared to Fedora 14),
except for Nvidia K1000M chip which insists on max power mode (heat) in
multi-head setup (Linus gave them the finger; I'd prefer that they shut
up...my laptop fans).

So I took a risk and flashed the vBios, underclocking the chip
significantly. Fantastic success, machine is absolutely quiet now, can run
all day under light load and fans never go on, awesome stuff...with one
caveat: for some reason after a suspend/resume power management goes awry
and the Nvidia chip heats up, triggering dreaded fan-on-off cycle over &
over & over (not as bad as before the vBIOS mod, but highly annoying
regardless).

The only way to get out of the heat loop is to restart X or restart the
machine, and then light load quiet until next suspend/resume.

Looking through /var/log I see that my kernel boot flag pcie_aspm=force is
picked up, but later is rejected:

PCIe ASPM is forcibly enabled
> [0.609409] pci_root PNP0A08:00: ACPI _OSC support notification failed,
> disabling PCIe ASPM
> [1.613536] pci 0000:00:01.0: ASPM: Could not configure common clock (this
> is the Nvidia chip, BTW)
> [1.619912] ACPI _OSC control for PCIe not granted, disabling ASPM

Thought maybe there's a buggy DSDT at play, so decompiled existing dsdt and
fixed the lone error and handful of warnings. Reran grub with modified
dsdt.aml and restarted.  Same deal, ASPM seems to be somewhat broken no
matter what I do.

So, how does Fedora identify itself to underlying firmware? Assume acpi_osi
is Linux.  I added that and "Windows 2012" as test kernel params, but
neither appeared to do anything particularly useful.

Can't underclock the Nvidia chip much more, so am hoping to find a way to
get reliable power management post-resume from suspend as something is
going off the rails at this time and not on system start/login.

Thanks for ideas.