How to restore MBR on a separate /boot partition?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Apr 8 21:47:24 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 09:06 AM, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Since I was unable to install F18, I would like
> to revert back to F17 that I have restored from
> backups, the following partitions:
>
> / (root)   /dev/sda10
> /boot      /dev/sda9
>
> What I have left to do is to restore the MBR
> on /dev/sda9 /boot partition.
>
> I have a separate MBR installed on /dev/sda
> drive which is the master MBR for multiboot
> OS, which is working fine.
>
> What steps can I use to accomplish this?

Are these the instructions I am looking for?

   1. Boot the system from an installation boot medium. (live CD/DVD/USB)
   2. Type linux rescue at the installation boot prompt to enter the
rescue environment.
   3. mkdir /mnt/sysimage
   4. mount /dev/sda10 /mnt/sysimage
   5. mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/sysimage/boot
   6. mount --bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
   7. mount --bind /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc
   8. mount --bind /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys
   9. chroot /mnt/sysimage              # root partition.
  10. grub2-install /dev/sda9           # boot partition.
  11. grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
  12. Review the /etc/grub.d/10_linux
  13. Reboot the system.