f18 moodle setup

Ester Muñoz Aparicio memunoz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 06:03:26 UTC 2013

El 10/04/13 00:47, M A Young escribió:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2013, Virágh János wrote:
>
>> After
>>
>> #yum install moodle
>>
>> what's  the proper way of configuring and starting moodle on Fedora 18?
>
> You just need to tell the config.php file how to find your database -
> see the /usr/share/doc/moodle-2.3.6/README-rpm file.

You also need to fix SElinux permissions (see below)

> However, there is a problem with the current Fedora and EPEL moodle
> packages because they remove some php QuickForm files that the moodle
> source ships with in favour of Fedora's packaged version. Unfortunately
> moodle is expecting a couple of extra files that aren't in the Fedora
> version because they are now obsolete.
>
>      Michael Young

I had lots of problems to install moodle into Fedora, and also you
should know that every time it is updated by yum you will need to fix
permissions (SELinux mostly).

I work developing courses in moodle for my clients (schools) and they
have a certain version of moodle in their servers. To keep everything
simple, I installed in my computer the same version they have and I do
not want yum to update it.

To put it to work, I ended up using the rpm from moodle.org, and yum
localinstall it so that it would pull dependecies. All the php and mysql
packages are from remi collet's repository (again it was just easier
than fight against Fedora's packages).

 From my notes:

install moodle, mysql, mysql-server
give permisions to apache to the moodle folder /var/www/moodle
chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_rw_t /var/www/moodle
setup moodle database in mysql
edit config.php to add login, passw, root for www

Then, when updating with yum, remember to exclude moodle. Anyway, you
don't want it to be updated every few weeks if you are developing
courses for others like I do.

Keep in mind that I only develop courses in this server, and then
transfer them for teaching... I mean, this is just development. I do not
have students or other users accessing so I don't know how would that
go. If this would be a live server I would not go for Fedora, I would
pick some other linux flavour that does not change so quickly.

HTH,
Ester

--
Ester Muñoz Aparicio
C/ San Isidro 2 Urb. Altos del Cantal 11 - 04638 - Mojácar (Almería) - Spain