ZDNet Recommends Linux

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 15:45:19 UTC 2013

On Thursday 11 April 2013 15:39:15 Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 11.04.2013 16:03, schrieb Gary Stainburn:
> > On Thursday 11 April 2013 14:55:01 Tim wrote:
> >> Allegedly, on or about 11 April 2013, Michael Leung sent:
> >>
> >> I'm not...  It's an utterly useless machine for almost everything that I
> >> do.
> >
> > I can't see what this would give you over the Android already installed.
> > I have a SSH/telnet client, a VNC client, a VPN client all running under
> > Android. What else do you need on a tablet apart from a pool app and a
> > flight sim?????
>
> sounds like you are never done serious work on your computer
>
> i have Android and VNC/RDP/SSH too but it is a nightmare doing
> serious work on a touch-display and it is a nightmare to work
> with a browser-based CMS
>
> nobody which works all day long with his computer will ever use
> smartphones or tablets for this and when a remote-session to
> a powerful machine does not fit the workload even not with
> a external keyboard and a large screen attached
>
> these are nice devices fpr by-the-way-work, not more and not less

Reindl

I think that you have missed the point.  I completely agree with you that
using a tablet as a proper work horse is a none-starter. That is *why* I said
that there is no point going to the effort of replacing the already competent
enough Android OS with Linux as the increase in functionality would be
minimal. (I wouldn't be without my peoper qwerty touch keyboard app and don't
know what a Linux equiv would be like)

I love my tablet because it is always on and always there, as is my Galaxy S2
phone which also has these apps (less the keyboard app as the keys would be
minute). However, as far as I'm concerned there will not be for some time to
come a suitable replacement for my traditional Fedora/KDE laptop.

As for never doing serious work on my computer, you know absolutely jack s**t
about me or my 25 years in the business.

Gary