ZDNet Recommends Linux

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Apr 11 15:49:25 UTC 2013

Am 11.04.2013 17:45, schrieb Gary Stainburn:
> On Thursday 11 April 2013 15:39:15 Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> I can't see what this would give you over the Android already installed.
>>> I have a SSH/telnet client, a VNC client, a VPN client all running under
>>> Android. What else do you need on a tablet apart from a pool app and a
>>> flight sim?????
>>
>> sounds like you are never done serious work on your computer
>>
>> i have Android and VNC/RDP/SSH too but it is a nightmare doing
>> serious work on a touch-display and it is a nightmare to work
>> with a browser-based CMS
>>
>> nobody which works all day long with his computer will ever use
>> smartphones or tablets for this and when a remote-session to
>> a powerful machine does not fit the workload even not with
>> a external keyboard and a large screen attached
>>
>> these are nice devices fpr by-the-way-work, not more and not less
>
> Reindl
>
> I think that you have missed the point.  I completely agree with you that
> using a tablet as a proper work horse is a none-starter. That is *why* I said
> that there is no point going to the effort of replacing the already competent
> enough Android OS with Linux as the increase in functionality would be
> minimal. (I wouldn't be without my peoper qwerty touch keyboard app and don't
> know what a Linux equiv would be like)

i do not see this in the post i responded to adn especially
not in the context you responded before

> As for never doing serious work on my computer, you know absolutely jack s**t
> about me or my 25 years in the business

see above - you responded to "I'm not...  It's an utterly useless machine for
almost everything that I do" - so you have learned to make your context clear
in the message you write and not in the message you thought you write