DSoD : Diagonal Screen of Death

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Thu Apr 11 20:54:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 22:59:36 +0930, Tim wrote:

> Allegedly, on or about 08 April 2013, Beartooth sent:
>> On Fedora 17 and 18 I sometimes get a display like nothing else I know.
>> It's made up of short horizontal lines, some in color, arranged into
>> long diagonals that cover the screen, with about the angle of a
>> backslash. The little lines in each group are parallel, and there's
>> always a little space between every group and the next.
>
> Sounds like a graphics crash, whether that be a hardware problem, or a
> driver fault.
>
> The suggestions about cooling have merit, and it *might* be easy enough
> to aim a fan at your card to see if it helps.  If your graphics card has
> its own fan, or cooling fins, it'd pay to check that they're in a good
> condition.
	[....]
	I should have mentioned that this screen arises on at least three
machines, running F17 fully updated, built for me by two different alpha
technoids, years apart.

	I suppose it could still be a cooling problem, because I do much
the same things on two of them; but my spouse uses the third very
differently. (I have a couple  more F17 machines, but use them less, and
one currently has an (I think) unrelated problem.)

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.