ZDNet Recommends Linux

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 23:55:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Nik Trevallyn-Jones <
fedora at babel.homelinux.net> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> Just a few thoughts from my own experiences.
>
> I also support a network of WinXP machines (40+, so fewer than yours).
> I use FOG ( http://www.fogproject.org/ ) to automate tasks and re-image
> the machines, and everything runs quite smoothly.
>
> Some time ago, I tested a Fedora install with VMware Workstation running
> our WinXP image for the Windows-only apps (CAD, Sketchp), and it worked
> really well;
> - the only problem was strong resistance from stubborn users.
>
> You can also run IE on Linux machines under Wine, but I understand that
> only 6, 7, and 8 are supported that way (however, it is always possible to
> address that on your own machine, so my experience is that you *could* get
> IE9 working as well)
> Alternatively you could run a VM which contains Windows and IE. See the
> following link for more details, including a link for MS-provided VMs:
> http://www.rdeeson.com/weblog/**126/how-to-run-internet-**
> explorer-7-8-and-9-in-linux-**with-or-without-wine.html<http://www.rdeeson.com/weblog/126/how-to-run-internet-explorer-7-8-and-9-in-linux-with-or-without-wine.html>
>
> If you are happy with Fedora, you can install it and leave it for 12-18
> months, and then update when you've found a stable version of the latest
> Fedora release. Since you don't want to update all the time (eg every 15
> minutes), the fact that the repos of your installed version will disappear
> isn't really a major problem.
>
> I have recently installed Stella at 2 other sites. Stella is a desktop
> spin of Centos - basically it is to Centos what I understand Mint is to
> Ubuntu.
> Stella is really simple to install (simpler and quicker than Fedora for
> example), and has >90% of what I want already installed - and far less
> unwanted stuff.
>
> So far, I am really happy with Stella on the desktop and ClearOS (also
> CentOS based) on the servers.
> I am gradually adding features to FOG to improve support for linux
> machines (both desktop and servers).
>
> The only real-world installation of thin clients that I have seen was in
> someone's home (3-5 workstations). They used LTSP, and it has been working
> really well.
> I am still looking at LTSP myself, but with the ease of management I get
> from FOG, I'm not sure I would get much benefit.
>
> My experience with Macs is mixed: many Mac users love them; they are not
> too difficult to support; and while the early versions of Safari and Mail
> were useless, we just installed Firefox and Thunderbird, and all was good.
>
> I can't say the same for iPhones. Trying to bend our infrastructure to
> work the way iPhones demand is way too much effort. Android phones are much
> easier - and that is despite having to install 5 or 6 apps to get support
> for all the protocols eg, WebDav, ICS, etc.
>
> Hope this helps,

What ever happened to bottom-posting? This last post reads like it was
written on a computer verses on a Blackberry phone. Could we please stick
to bottom-posting unless on a Blackberry, ? and could those on a Blackberry
please continue to tell us until this company gets the problem fixed? and
if you have an Android, or are on your computers, would you please bottom
post?

Thanks. This would be a tremendous help for those following along.

Richard.

PS  I sent Blackberry a note on this demanding they fix it before I pick up
one of their devices, and perhaps those who own one could politely tell
them to do the same.