Fedora vs RHEL

Daniel Shoemaker dancoe77 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 10:20:59 UTC 2013

This is just my two cents.  I use Fedora on my laptop & desktop at home but
I would never use it as a server.  It is great product but it has a 6-month
release cycle which means that you only get 1 year worth of patches before
having to migrate.  CentOS has 7 years worth of patches and it is the free
version of RHEL since it is built off the RHEL source code (just without
the RHEL branding).  If it were me I would be pushing for CentOS not Fedora
unless you are prepared for annual migrations or upgrades.  Since your boss
doesn't want to pay for RHEL (which can get expensive), CentOS is the
perfect alternative.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Mike Dwiggins <mike at azdwiggins.com> wrote:

> On 4/12/2013 3:01 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>
>> On 2013-04-12 12:58, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>>
>>> Does there exist anywhere a list or comparison about which Releases of
>>> Fedora correspond to what Releases of RHEL?
>>>

>> I would not directly compare those, as they are so much far in term of
>> bundled versions.
>>
>> My suggestion is to compare CentOS and RHEL.
>>
>>  My problem is that I am trying to sell my Boss on Fedora!  He refuses to
> let us use CentOS or to pay for RHEL ( Yes cheapskate). But if I can show
> some comparison to RHEL I can sell him on Fedora.
>
> My whole shop run home servers and we all use Fedora.  We just need
> something from somewhere to convince him!
>
> Thanks
> Mike D
>
> --

Daniel Shoemaker