Installing texlive under Fedora 17.

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 10:29:12 UTC 2013

Hello Rolf,

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:37:43PM +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I said ***explicitly*** that "powerdot is not compatible with pdftex".  I
> did
> "latex demo", ***NOT*** "pdflatex demo" and got the error that I reported.

A little patience and being concise helps a lot.  If you knew that, why
do you use the package hypdestopt?  As the error in your previous
message says, it requires pdftex.

> ! Package hypdestopt Error: This package requires pdfTeX in PDF mode.
> See the hypdestopt package documentation for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.55   }\@ehc

So either change from powerdot to something that is supported in pdftex
(beamer, prosper, etc) or do not use hypdestopt.

> But there are two further things to note:
>
> (1) Looking more closely at the screen output from the latex command

[...]

> So it seems that I was inadvertently using *pdftex*.  This seems to be
> simply what happens under texlive2012.

[...]

> So I need somehow to get an installation of texlive where "latex" really
> means
> ***latex*** and not "pdftex".  How the hell do I arrange that?

This is intentional.  All modern TeX distributions symlink latex,
pdflatex, etc to pdftex.  pdftex figures out what it should run as by
looking at the calling name (arg 0 in technical parlance).

This is the same for most shells, for example.

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 user user       6 Aug 15  2009 /opt/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-linux/latex -> pdftex
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 user user 1721312 Jun 28  2012 /opt/texlive/2012/bin/x86_64-linux/pdftex

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      4 Mar 17 01:09 /bin/sh -> bash
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 978160 Mar 11 21:18 /bin/bash

Next time when you post a minimal example, make sure it actually
replicates the problem.  Including the line "\usepackage{hypdestopt}"
replicates your error message from the earlier post.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu