Fedora vs RHEL

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 11:04:53 UTC 2013

>  Agreed, The plan is to start him on F17, unless of course I can convince
> him to go with F18!  My home machines are still on F14 but, I have a test
> server running F18 and it so far looks solid!  As a point of fact I sent
> this e-mail off of it!

What are the specific reasons he will not go with a RHEL based system
(whether CentOS or SciLi)?

There are correct reasons to use Fedora but they are few and far between in
a business setting - my montoring TV runs Fedora, the developer
workstations run Fedora (only 3 that I care about) ... all other systems
run CentOS linked to puppet and spacewalk (config management and package
management/auditing respectively).

If he won't go with CentOS/RHEL for a specific valid reason then in all
probability Fedora is the wrong answer as it would probably be similarly
covered....

If you plan to get RHEL in the future then CentOS (or similar)
is definitely a better choice to ease the migration.

A bit more detail would be useful - you strike me as a kid (I feel old
now....) fresh out of college/university/highschool excited in his
first/second job with the first chance to use Linux at work... it's a great
time and I remember it well but what you do at home bares little reflection
from a business sense.

At home I have an HP N40L microserver with F18 and BTRFS which I'm very
happy with for CIFS, transmission, streaming, etc ... however I would not
use the same setup at my workplace in any shape or form.

Have a look at the specific requirements you are trying to meet and the
specific objections to RHEL/CentOS ...

The approach you are taking right now based in the available information
and a wealth of experience is flat out wrong.... slow down and re-evaluate
what you are planning or provide more info here.

I would strongly suggest laying out your goals on the centos-discuss
mailing list if you are unsure how to best present them or how/if CentOS
(or a similar distro) can meet your needs.