Fedora vs RHEL

Mike Dwiggins mike at azdwiggins.com
Fri Apr 12 11:05:58 UTC 2013

On 4/12/2013 3:49 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 12.04.2013 12:37, schrieb Mike Dwiggins:
>> That is a justified concern however in our case we finally have seen him get fed up with the Wndoze environment and
>> the cost it causes.  We have him ready to try a solution that can run everything we need on our two new sever grade
>> machines and avoid the physical update cycle on the other five!
>>
>> We are a small to medium Network Engineering shop so I really have no problem with "Dumb" users except for the
>> clerks in Admin and Finance.
>>
>> It is fully our intent that once we get him hooked on Linux to move over to RHEL!
>> I have no problem with the late shift (no clerks) doing the update cycle!
> a few minutes ago you said you will seel your boss Fedora 16
> you said you still run Fedora 16 connected to the internet
>
> so i do not buy the "have no problem with doing the update cycle"
>
> to make it clear, if i would be your boss and you try to sell me
> Fedora 16 i would fire you for two possible reasons reasons to
> prevent future damage to the company
>
> * you try to sell me a EOL system by knowing and ignoring this
> * you do not know that it is EOL what shows that you are not qualified
At this I can only say that you don't know my Boss!  He moved into this
field from a related field (Telcomm) and knows just enough to be dangerous!

To him EOL would be a selling point because it would eliminate changes!
Yes I am dealing with that kind of knowledge base!

As I have said in other posts the intent is to eventually wind-up on
RHEL.  I have held my Home servers on F14 just for the reason of no
changes although if the test F18 goes about one more week I will upgrade
to F18 as the first release since F14 that my environment has not had
some problem with!

Thanks
Mike D.