Fedora vs RHEL

Mike Dwiggins mike at azdwiggins.com
Fri Apr 12 11:41:48 UTC 2013

OK, let me sum up my situation if I can without busting some
confidentiality agreements.

We are a small Network Engineering company mostly we specialize in
Enterprise Wireless in support of Inventory Control systems.  Our
outward facing network has been Windows Server in various generations!

We have had some serious security problems due to holes in Windows.

We also have a Teaching Lab were we teach new hires networking
fundamentals.  I have hidden the Lab behind a set of CentOS servers for
several years and we have had no Problems.  In the Lab I have 9 racks
with various Routers (mostly Cisco) and several Enterprise Wireless
Controllers (Motorola and Aruba mostly).  I hide this whole operation
behind one of my CentOS servers serving as the router and DHCP for the
whole place!

My Boss has a Brother-In-Law (BIL) who had a terrible experience in his
business (no way related to ours).  The problem was the BIL not the OS
but, convince the 2nd in command at our place of that!  Yes, it is the
Boss's wife!

Thus I am having to sell to their level of Knowledge and my well working
Lab just does not penetrate her defense of her Brothers skills.  It must
have been the OS, not Her Brother!

I have taken some legitimate hits here!  Had the situation been
different!  I was just trying to get a quick and dirty equivalence to
use as a selling point.

I use an older version of Fedora at home because I like to leave work at
work a LOT, OK I am lazy!

The full intent is to get to a RHEL shop and have it settle in place for
about two years before I retire!

Mike D.