Installing texlive under Fedora 17.

Antonio Olivares wingators at inbox.com
Fri Apr 12 15:36:08 UTC 2013

> I said ***explicitly*** that "powerdot is not compatible with pdftex".
> I did
> "latex demo", ***NOT*** "pdflatex demo" and got the error that I
> reported.

You may install kerTeX^{1} and in there latex is latex :)
If you don't have Development Tools/Libraries installed do,
# yum installgroup "Development Tools"
and install
# yum install flex-static
or
# yum install flex-devel

lftp should be installed in the system and configure it :
$ cat >~/.lftp/rc <<EOT
> set ssl:verify-certificate no
> EOT
$

Then try the installation with
$ wget wget http://downloads.kergis.com/kertex/get_mk_install.sh
$ chmod +x get_mk_install.sh
$ ./get_mk_install.sh
should compile kerTeX for you, then add the package latex
$ wget http://downloads.kergis.com/kertex/latex.sh
$ chmod +x latex.sh
$ ./latex.sh install

and it would install latex.  Look at the available packages in the main website.
NOTE: some packages (beamer, pgf, hyperref) and others are currently unavailable for kerTeX, but can be added later via a package script.  See Packages section in {1}.

{1} http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html

Also, you can have texlive from (main sources), from fedora repositories(through yum) and you may choose which tex you can run.  I have both installed kertex and texlive on several machines and some just the one one installs from texlive dvd.  I see now that fedora has texlive-scheme-full available and hopefully that should take care of almost all the TeXing/LaTeXing needs.  Also you can refer to a previous thread I created in fedora users list^{2}:

{2} http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-March/415359.html

But for a while now, the default format would be pdftex/pdflatex and not plain TeX or LaTeX.  I don't know the main reasons for this, but my best guess is that the TeXLive folks

Best Regards,

Antonio