Fedora vs RHEL

Mike Dwiggins mike at azdwiggins.com
Fri Apr 12 16:04:30 UTC 2013

On 4/12/2013 7:03 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-04-12 at 13:24 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> I would agree that in a corporate environment, Fedora release cycle is
>> too often. I personnally run Fedora on my work laptop, but if I were
>> to administer the whole ~150 desktops of the company I wont use Fedora
>> but CentOS.
> I tend to agree.  However, if you're a place that's gotten used to
> having to regularly wipe and install Windows boxes, as many will do,
> then it's possible that having to restart with a newer version of Fedora
> once or twice a year may be just as palatable.  But I'd definitely put
> servers on a long term OS, like CentOS, even if the clients use Fedora
> and are considered disposable machines.  Though it can be easier to
> manage a system where they all run the same OS, so CentOS on them might
> be simplest.  And with a longer term OS, like CentOS instead of Fedora,
> you're not going to suddenly face major annoying changes to how you use
> your computer, like how KDE 4 and Gnome 3 irritated the masses.
>
> If you're a place that has previously paid for Windows, then paying for
> RHEL ought to be similarly palatable.  Again, you could use it for one
> or two machines, the one's your mostly likely to need technical support
> from Red Hat for, and the other basic client machines using the free
> CentOS.  Though, if considering a paid OS, you have to consider whether
> the type of service you're going to be able to get is useful to you.
>
> Mention was made of having experienced security holes with Windows, so
> the concept of keeping a system up-to-date ought to be already accepted.
> Keeping on using *any* out-of-date system is a risk, some are easily
> demonstratively so, others are harder to show that there is an actual
> risk rather than just a theoretical one, but there's still a risk.

Excellent summation Tim!  As I said my problem was not what I wanted but
what I could "Sell" to the Boss.

One outstanding suggestion that came up in this discussion was
Scientific Linux  as the "Supported by CERN" could be a powerful selling
point.  That post had me doing the classic head thump D'Oh! I had
forgotten about that release!

Female involved in the decision chain has great respect and admiration
for the work of CERN and their web page shows no hint of their relation
to CentOS!  That is a stable platform that I am certain I can get
accepted.  Boss taking a long weekend so I have plenty of time to work
up the presentation.

Thanks to All
Mike D.