Fedora vs RHEL

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Fri Apr 12 16:25:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013, Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> On 4/12/2013 3:01 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>
> My problem is that I am trying to sell my Boss on Fedora!  He refuses to let
> us use CentOS or to pay for RHEL ( Yes cheapskate). But if I can show some
> comparison to RHEL I can sell him on Fedora.
>
> My whole shop run home servers and we all use Fedora.  We just need something
> from somewhere to convince him!
>
> Thanks
> Mike D

Are you willing to do the constant upgrading, patching, and tinkering for a *production* shop, knowing that the chances that *something* isn't completely patched, or even secure approaches 1.0?  Is there some brand-new something in Fedora that you need you can't get in CentOS?

I run Fedora for my private consult business, but only because I tend to tear everything down and run a new OS every six months anyway.  I'm running Fedora today, but might well be running Mageia next month and Mint at the end of the year.

But that's only six or seven boxes in one building, and I do it because I can't help myself.  In contrast, when I ran a network for a government group a few years ago, it was all about stability and security.  For that I used RHEL and CentOS.

Can you tell us what your employer's  problem with CentOS is?

billo