configuring fetchmail while accessing internet from behind proxy server

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Apr 13 13:26:02 UTC 2013

> Allegedly, on or about 13 April 2013, Ranjan Maitra sent:
>> I have looked around a fair bit but have no leads so I am throwing
>> this out here just hoping that someone here can help.
>>
>> I can currently only access the internet using a proxy server and a
>> specified port. My question: what should I change in my .fetchmailrc
>> settings to be able to fetch mail using fetchmail?
>
> Not really enough information supplied...  Have you had a look at
> fetchmail's website <http://fetchmail.berlios.de/>?

I am not quite sure what information I can supply. My proxy server to access the internet is xxx.xxx.xx.x:8080. (Of course, this is what I have to do to use the browser.) I am able to tweak settings in yum.conf to yum. But am lost on how to extend this to fetch mail from an IMAP exchange server. Most of the stuff in the FAQ below seems to not be relevant. Of course, it does not help me that I do not know some of these technical details.

> Look in the FAQ and search the page for the word proxy.  There's a few
> mentions of it, and the ones I looked at were wildly different, so it'd
> be quite hard for us to answer your query correctly, first go.  You'll
> get better help if you try what looks like the right thing for your mail
> service, then ask for further help to get that working.

The problem to me is because these local idiots here believe that the world begins and ends with the browser, and that too using Windoze.

> It may not be possible, though.  It rather depends on what access
> protocols are supported for your mail service.

I am sure that this is the case, but note that when I am not connecting to the network via a proxy server, I can do just fine. I am not sure what to do when we are connecting via a proxy server.

Thanks again for any help!

Ranjan