Fedora vs RHEL

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Apr 13 18:46:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 20:14:09 +0100, Tethys wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [....] what you get for support is, essentially,
>> answers people are willing to give you for free here, in forums, in
>> IRC, and so on.  If you install CentOS or SL, I believe the answer is
>> roughly the same. [....] You, and your boss, have to be willing to
>> live with that definition of support.
>
> The annoying thing is, I'd *gladly* pay Red Hat for support, if they'd
> charge me a sensible amount. I'm not a multinational corporation. I'm a
> home user with a single server, but it's important to me. It's currently
> running CentOS and has a number of problems. I'd install RHEL in a
> heartbeat to get support for it. But given the minimum Red Hat support
> charge is several thousand, it's simply out of my price range :-(

	There is a real opportunity here for somebody. An old adage says
"Find a need, and fill it."

	As the Baby Boomers retire, there will be an increasing number,
well content with the situation Paul Frields describes, who have life
partners whom they expect to outlive them. The astute ones should be
thinking about adopting an OS in time for those partners to get used to
it.

	Fwiw, I estimate that there are enough now for somebody to get an
affordable support system for CentOS, SciLi, et alii off the ground.

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.