Fedora vs RHEL

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Apr 15 02:08:35 UTC 2013

On 04/12/2013 05:06 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 12.04.2013 12:01, schrieb Mihamina Rakotomandimby:
>> On 2013-04-12 12:58, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>>> Does there exist anywhere a list or comparison about which Releases of
>>> Fedora correspond to what Releases of RHEL?
>>
>> I would not directly compare those, as they are so much far in term of bundled versions.
>
> not entirely
>
> RHEL5 is based on Fedora Core 6
> RHEL6 is based on F12/F13
>
>> My suggestion is to compare CentOS and RHEL
>
> what do you need to compare in this case?
> it is a 100% binary compatible clone built from the same source rpms

No, it is not. It is a similar clone built from the same source RPMs but
on a different build system with no real knowledge of how the RHEL RPMs
are built.

I've seen way too many weird little glitches between CentOS and RHEL to
buy the "it's 100% compatible" line again, sorry.

If you want RHEL, buy RHEL. If you want a clone, use a clone. But don't
fool yourself into thinking they are exactly the same. They're not.

Thomas