F 18 disk management tool

Paul Erickson va7nt at telus.net
Mon Apr 15 20:31:46 UTC 2013

On 04/15/2013 12:49 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2013 8:35 AM, "Paul Erickson" <va7nt at telus.net
> <mailto:va7nt at telus.net>> wrote:
> >
> > On switching to F 18, whenever I try to use the "disk management"
> tool under "system tools" I get this message:
> >
> > There are no filesystems which you are allowed to mount or unmount.
> > Contact your administrator.
> >
> > In previous versions of Fedora, I could access this tool without
> > difficulty. What do I need to do to make this tool accessible?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > cheers, Paul
> > --
>
> Sounds like a permissions problem. I would call chown -R <user> on the
> disk  :-)

Thanks, I deserved that!-)

According to another search, the problem could also be addressed by
making the user part of the adm
group, I did that, or thought I did, but that doesn't seem to help.

Also previously in F 11 and earlier, I could put a new disk in an
enclosure, plug it in and the utility
would find it, and give the option to format, mount etc. As far as I can
tell the utility (accessed as
root) no longer does that, or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks for the time and attention.

cheers, Paul