Extract ".rar" file -

Kevin Martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 20:33:25 UTC 2013

On 04/16/13 14:41, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 01:47:28PM -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>
>> How do I extract "tomato-E3000USB-1.28.9054MIPSR2-beta-Ext.rar" ?
>>
>> The instructions said to "yum install p7zip" and I did that, but finding the
>> command to make it happen eludes me.
>
> The command is 7za, see man 7za.  But that won't help you; at least the
> man page does not list as a supported archive type.  As mentioned by
> others, try unrar; see man unrar for details.

7zip's website says that it supports the RAR format on Linux, but only for extracting.  You *should* be able to extract with
p7zip-plugins rpm installed and then use "7z x file.rar" (note, *not* 7za x file.rar) but for some reason the folks that built the
p7zip-plugins rpm didn't compile the 7z.so with the rar format plugin in it.  FWIW, I grabbed the 9.20.1 source code for 7zip, built
it in about 5 minutes, and can use the 7z that built from there with for extracting rar archives  with no problem so I'm not sure
why the Fedora folks don't build 7z with the needed plugins in 7z.so.

Kevin