Fedora vs RHEL

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Apr 17 06:47:07 UTC 2013

David wrote:
> On 4/13/2013 6:20 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 04/13/2013 03:07 PM, David wrote:
>>> I actually know several (nine) 'old time Linux' users and some are ex
>>> Redhat employes as well as commercial (as in paid sys admins) that say
>>> that the Ubuntu list is full of useless information. Much of it flat out
>>> wrong. Careful. The usual tip off, they say, is "Try this. It might
>>> work".
>>>

>> Yes.  I know.  However, there's always a few grains of wheat mixed in
>> with the chaff; the trick is to figure out which suggestions to follow.
>>   Generally, however, I've found that for somebody like me who knows
>> something about Linux and just needs distro-specific advice, that's not
>> too hard.
>>
>>> Here you will see the latest usage numbers.
>>>
>>> "OS Platform Statistics and Trends"
>>>
>>> <http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp>
>>
>> Interesting, and roughly twice what the Linux Counter suggests:
>> http://linuxcounter.net/guessing.html
>>
>> My guess is that your reference counts servers, because mine gets most
>> of its numbers from webserver hit logs.
>

> I really *do not know* exactly what the usage number means. But I do
> 'know' that - or think that putting 'grandma' over to Linux, IMHO, would
> not be a good idea.  :-)

Actually, that's a good population, they want to do simple things, generally not
play games, do course assignments, and such. For browsing, mail, etc, it's easy
to use, stable, and more secure than Windows. And you can have the system do
network backup without telling them, a big bonus.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>