random reboot finally hits me

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:55:05 UTC 2013

I've been seeing other f18 users talk about random reboots,
and last night I finally had one as well. I'm not sure this
3.8 kernel should be called "stable" yet :-).

I thought maybe all the scripts I have on cron downloading
and transcoding programs from my TiVo overheated the CPU,
but all the transcoding finished an hour or so before the
system rebooted.

Also, the reboot didn't work. When I turned on the TV
I use as a monitor, the reboot was stuck at the
"Starting KDE login manager" step (which is normally
about the last thing it does), no GUI ever came
up. (I wonder if the Intel video driver hung because
the TV was off and it couldn't fetch EDID info?).

Once I power cycled it, it booted up OK, but the only
suspicious things I could find in any log files were
chunks of NULL bytes laying around from when I power
cycled the machine.