F18 livecd can't play wma files, and no mplayer

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 00:36:32 UTC 2013

I booted Fedora 18 off a LiveCD, and want to play back wma files.

So far, all my attempts have been unsuccesful. It's clear no wma
playback codecs are included with the files.
Plus, MPlayer, which usually plays back 'everything' is NOT included
in the official repos, and if I try to install mplayer from ATRPMS, it
gets a thousands (I'm exaggerating) dependencies and installation
aborts.

I tried looking around for a STATIC BUILD of mplayer, but that doesn't
seem to exist (someone used to compile mplayer statically, many many
years ago, but it seems there's no static builds of recent versions).

Please, let me know of ANY -preferably tiny and NOT dependencies
encumbered- player I can run on F18 from a LiveCD to play back wma
files....

TIA
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell