F18 livecd can't play wma files, and no mplayer

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 02:19:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> use rpmfusion and NOT atrpms
> that's the same as for a physical install

Thanks, enabled RPMFUSION and it's now downloading a thousand deps
(ok, 29 deps actually), and it'll use 55 MB of HD space.

I still think a static build of MPlayer would be great, but I see here
building one is apparently not so easy:
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2011-August/083170.html

(Ironically, on win32 there's plenty of static builds of ffmpeg, and I
think I've seen Mplayer builds for Win32 delivered as a single huge
file as well).

Oh well...

What is ironic is that if I google long enough, I'll surely find some
wma player written in Java that I could run by just downloading a
single .jar file and running it with OpenJDK... so much for the
advantage of the 'linux way' of a thousand dependencies on system libs
scattered throughout the system... ;)

FC