how to make user account partially bi-lingual?

William Mattison wcmattison at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 03:23:08 UTC 2013

> (Fedora-18; all desktops)
> How does root and/or the user set up his account so he always has these abilities?
> In effect, we want the account to be bi-lingual, with English as the primary language,
> and simplified Chinese being a secondary language.
>
> Thank-you in advance for your help.
> Bill.

Ed Greshko answered:
> Run "im-chooser" and then select ibus as the input method.  You'll then need to
> configure the input methods to add whatever method you want for Simplified Chinese.
> I'm pretty sure this gets you want you want since you seem most in need of inputting in
> Chinese.  Viewing shouldn't be an issue.

In addition to what Ed suggested, it was also needed to add simplified Chinese within the "System Settings" GUI under the user name in the upper right corner of the screen.  I also wrestled with preferences in Konsole, Terminal, and XTerm.  Things now seem to be fine in LibreOffice.  I can create a new simplified Chinese or mixed file with vi(m).  But...

I imported from a Redhat 9 system many files created by vi and containing a mix of English and simplified Chinese.  When I load any of those into vi(m) on the Fedora-18 system, the simplified Chinese is not displayed properly.  I notice at the bottom of the Konsole/XTerm/Terminal, there is a message saying "converted".  I don't know if there's a connection.  Both the message and the failure to properly display the simplified Chinese happen regardless of the simplified Chinese encoding that I choose in the terminal's preferences.  Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

thanks,
Bill.