Fedora vs RHEL

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 18 05:51:24 UTC 2013

On 04/12/2013 11:04 AM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
<<>>

> One outstanding suggestion that came up in this discussion was
> Scientific Linux  as the "Supported by CERN" could be a powerful selling
> point.  That post had me doing the classic head thump D'Oh! I had
> forgotten about that release!
>
> Female involved in the decision chain has great respect and admiration
> for the work of CERN and their web page shows no hint of their relation
> to CentOS!  That is a stable platform that I am certain I can get
> accepted.  Boss taking a long weekend so I have plenty of time to work
> up the presentation.

true, the scientific linux released by cern is a rhel clone, and a good one.

please be aware tho, that it is more customized that the scientific linux
released by fnal, ie, argon national labs out side of chicago, il.

check these links to find out more;

   https://www.scientificlinux.org/
   https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/
   http://www.scientificlinux.org/news/
   http://fermilinux.fnal.gov/documentation/
   http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/docs/

i have been using the fnal release, 1st in list, for about years, just
after the release of sl 5.0, and i can say that it has been a very stable
and reliable linux.

they have regular upgrade releases and security updates that usually follow
within 24 hrs of what is released by rhel. i am aware of this because i
subscribe to the list from rhsa-announce at redhat.com, so i can get a full
picture of what is happening.

also, they recently extended the eol to 10 yrs.

if you do decide to go with the fnal release, i would say that you are
making a good choice, and much better than using centos.

the support list is very good and there are at least 3 fnal maintainers
that are regularly following and replying to the list. the rest of the
support repliers are also very much familiar with sl. so, you should
have very little trouble correcting any problems you might run into.
if you should have any.

over the past 6 years of using scientific linux, i have recommend it to
many friends and clients, guessing to be well over 50. i had some clients
that could not convert because of special software they used in their
business. the others were able to move their data into similar linux
software.

of the friends who i have converted, there are only 2 who went back to oos.
one because he had special programs that had no equivalent, other was
because he was too lazy to learn a little bit about how to administer his
system. he did admit to liking linux, but just did not care to learn a
new os.

this is all my opinion about linux and scientific linux, but it is based
on what i have learned. cromix, a clone of bsd, was my first multi system,
so i had little problems picking up on the difference of linux.

from what i have read in your post, i doubt that you will have much trouble
moving to linux and administering it.

as for 'selling it', what has your boss got to worry about if she has you
and you fully back up your current os before changing? ;-)

much luck to you.

tc. hago.

.