F18 livecd can't play wma files, and no mplayer

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Apr 18 18:56:52 UTC 2013

On 04/17/2013 07:19 PM, Fernando Cassia issued this missive:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> use rpmfusion and NOT atrpms
>> that's the same as for a physical install
>
> Thanks, enabled RPMFUSION and it's now downloading a thousand deps
> (ok, 29 deps actually), and it'll use 55 MB of HD space.
>
> I still think a static build of MPlayer would be great, but I see here
> building one is apparently not so easy:
> http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2011-August/083170.html
>
> (Ironically, on win32 there's plenty of static builds of ffmpeg, and I
> think I've seen Mplayer builds for Win32 delivered as a single huge
> file as well).
>
> Oh well...
>
> What is ironic is that if I google long enough, I'll surely find some
> wma player written in Java that I could run by just downloading a
> single .jar file and running it with OpenJDK... so much for the
> advantage of the 'linux way' of a thousand dependencies on system libs
> scattered throughout the system... ;)

Large portions of the ability to play various media is encumbered by
copyright and patent issues on the codecs. Red Hat/Fedora play by USA
laws and can't include things that have such issues. SuSE and several
others based outside the USA bypass them regularly. Note that
"mplayerhq.hu" is registered in Hungary.