how to make user account partially bi-lingual?

William Mattison wcmattison at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 01:31:45 UTC 2013

> What do you get when you type....
>
> file filename  ?
>
> I don't remember, but I think in the Fedora 9 days Unicode may not have been the default.  The encoding you have may be GB2312.
>
> You can try running....
>
> iconv -f GB2312 -t UTF8 filename > filename.utf8
>
> and then vi the resulting file....

On the Redhat 9 system, for a simplified Chinese file, I get "ISO-8859 text".

On the Fedora-18 system, for a simplified Chinese file imported from the Redhat 9 system, I get "ISO-8859 text".

On the Fedora-18 system, for a new simplified Chinese file, I get "UTF-8 Unicode text".

I have not yet tried an iconv.  When I try it, what should the f and t arguments be, and do I need any other arguments?

thanks,
Bill.