Email clients have gone crazy

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 19 18:56:38 UTC 2013

Am 19.04.2013 20:53, schrieb Aaron Konstam:
> I am running F18. But suddenly this morning my e-mail clients claim not to accept my server passwd.
> When I open evolution it asks for a passwd whxih it has never done before. My usual mail server passwds do not work.'
> Thunderbird claims that my login or passwd is wrong. Where the login is my e-mail address.
>
> My mail servers are those from at&t. When I go ot the at&t web interface my email address and server passwd works.
> So I am very confused. Evolution did not owrk like this way yesterday or ever in the last decade. What could be wrong?

maybe something has changed on the server or your client
settings and you are using a non-supported auth mechanism

usually you can telnet to a IMAP server and look at the
banner what is supported

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL RIGHTS=texk NAMESPACE CHILDREN SORT QUOTA THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT UNSELECT IDLE
STARTTLS AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN]