Fedora vs CentOS -- php/apache and Drupal 7

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 19 20:52:36 UTC 2013

hello roger.

On 04/16/2013 10:10 PM, Roger wrote:
> <snip>
>> so drop centos and run fedora and/or scientific linux. you may well
>> find that scientific linux is very close to current fedora, with the
>> exception of some new !whiz! !bang! software.
>>
>> </snip>
> This is just about where I am at now.
> CentOs is getting too hard to contend with and I believe I'll have to
> devote a day to installing everything.

i agree with you 100%.

tho there are others who mistakenly believe that centos is the 'new god'
of linux. bfs!

check the thread;

}> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 02:58:43 -0700
}> From: Mike Dwiggins <mike at azdwiggins.com>
}> To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
}> Subject: Fedora vs RHEL

and you will see what i mean.

i tried centos, did not like it, wiped it.

i have been with scientific linux [sl] for close to 6 years now and
i have yet to regret installing it.

i try the new releases every few releases, but i can not follow their new
releases every 6 months. i need a system that is stable and will remain
operational. this is not to say that fedora is unstable. i used it from
fl 6 up thru f12 and enjoyed it.

i do like fedora, it has a lot of nice features. truth is, i have, rather
had a 3 drive system with f12 in it, that i used for gnucash. i say 'had'
because when i tried to install f18 to system, i had to use text mode.

thanks to fedora now insisting on using lvm, and i forgot about, and which
i have never really cared for, the installer marked the 3 drives as lvm.
needless to say, the system got trashed. so i am not trying various recovery
programs to see if i can get system back. so will say i should have backed
them up, but backing up a 20g0 boot byte drive and 2 120g0 byte drives is a
bit extreme.

i did plan ahead and saved boot tracks to files for the 3 drives, but due
to a distraction of a phone call and my chemotherapy corrupted memory, i
failed to copy the boot tracks to a cd in event of need for recovery.

do not take this in any way that i do not like fedora, because i do.
i just need a system that has a long eol and sl has been increased
to 10 years.

i have help some folks with fedora installations and they enjoy it.
something that i will do from now on is when i help with the installs,
i sill set up /home on a separate drive and show user how to disable
drive in bios so they will not lose their personal data.

will i recommend fedora to oos users to try fedora? most definitely.
i will also advise them of the pros and cons of a 'testing' system,
as well as advising them of the pros and cons of using sl. then the
decision is theirs.

my background with computers started with punch cards and graduated to
mini systems. later, i built an s100 system based on cromemco cdos, and
enhanced version of cp/m written for use with z80, then cromix for z80,
then cromix for z80/m6800.

when slackware came out with their floppy release of linux, i tried it,
i like it. when redhat released their version on cd, i installed it and
liked it more that slackware, so i totally dropped slackware.

when redhat released fedora, i moved to it and held at fl4. when fl6 was
released, i tried it but had trouble because it would not install to the
reiserfs i was using, but i was not aware of such and thought there was
a problem with the release, so i stayed with fl4. when fl8 was released,
i decided to give it a go, but it was still a no-go due to reiserfs. this
time i decided to ask on support list about problem. there where many
suggestions, but none worked until 1 poster ask how i had drives formatted.
sure enough, when i told him, he replied back about the format problem.
i changed format and it all was go.

i did get tired of the updates and minor bugs, so i tried sl and centos
because of their cloning rhel. with some of the problems of centos and
none with sl, i moved to sl and used fedora for the advanced release of
gnucash.

i will exhaust all efforts to recover to recover my 3 drives, if not, i will
rebuild them using sl6.4 and install f12 because i still have that on dvd.
i am not concerned about connecting to internet, so security bugs, etc are
not a problem.

please excuse my regressing from "Subject:", but i felt a little background
would help explain why i follow fedora users support list. :-)

tc. hago.

.