Fedora vs RHEL

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 20 18:49:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-18 at 23:15 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM, g  wrote:
>
>         On 04/18/2013 07:26 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>                 Hi
>         <>
>
>                 Since both CentOS and SL are rebuilds of RHEL. the 3rd
>                 party repos should
>                 be compatible with either
>

>         centos does a lot of chop and remove from rhel package and
>         adds a lot of
>         their own crud.
>

> No.  They don't.
----
as I said - he is highly uninformed. Rather unsurprisingly, he got it
completely backwards though I wouldn't suggest that Scientific Linux
adds chop and crud.

CentOS is essentially the cleanest, closest rebuild of RHEL that is
possible - as they say, bug for bug. They do have a CentOS Plus
repository which does have different build options but it is disabled by
default so you have to want the changes to get them.

Scientific Linux takes all sorts of liberties with build options and
even their build system doesn't attempt to produce compatible binary
packages - not that I am suggesting that it's a bad thing - just a
completely different philosophy than CentOS.

Craig

believed to be clean.