Can't upgrade Fedora 17

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Apr 21 00:05:06 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 18.04.2013 23:08, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:
>> No, because I don't want to upgrade from f17 to f18. I'm just doing
>> regular system update (or at last, I'm trying)
>
> * so please do NOT use the term "upgrade"

Update would be easier to understand here

> * do not use "--skip-broken"

In general I agree, however, if you use rpmfusion they sometimes (last night)
update kmod and akmod modules before the kernels move from testing to updates.

> * analyze what deps are failing

Definitely, these things can mean your mirror was updating, or that your rpmdb
is hosed somehow.

> * consider to wait a few days

Indeed, this is the road to success in most cases, updates are not atomic,
network issues are seldom the case, TCP is fairly good at detecting a bad packet.

> * if it is not solved after a few days by newer updates write bugreports

Again good advice.

What I do:
   early in the morning the system can run "yum --downloadonly upgrade"

When I start my day, I check the results, the RPM packages are now downloaded, I
can run the real upgrade after I check for possible issues. That moves the time
waiting for downloads out of "my time."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>