Not reboot, X server shutdown :-(

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 12:06:11 UTC 2013

I found my system with no GUI running again this
morning, but took more time to poke around, and
discovered that it had not rebooted, it had just
shutdown the X server and the boot messages were
on the screen from the last time I booted.

The messages in the X log seemed to indicate it
had been requested to shutdown - it ends with
stuff about unloading evdev and other modules.

I find nothing in any of the logs that indicate
anything was happening, unless maybe logrotate
has gotten carried away and is shutting down the
X server so it can rotate the X log file (but
it would happen every night I'd think in that
case :-).

I'm using the motherboard/cpu Intel graphics.

Anyone seen anything like this before?