Keyboard LED applet

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 22 13:19:42 UTC 2013

Tim:
>> In fact, I'd rather that *all* keyboards had useful LEDs.  Put the damn
>> caps lock LED next to the caps lock key, or preferably in it (as my old
>> Amiga did).  Likewise, for num lock.

Ian Pilcher:
> My previous laptop (ThinkPad T510) had the caps lock LED embedded in the
> key, and I hate that location.  I can't see it when my hands are on the
> darn keyboard!

I never had that problem with it in the key.  Usually, you know when
you've pressed the caps lock key, the LED is more useful for when you've
gone between things, and you can see it before you touch the keyboard.
Having the LED in the key, or nearby it, is very intuitive.  And in my
case, it's in the top right corner of the key, and not usually covered
by a finger.

But having it across the other side of the keyboard, in a group of LEDs
where all you can see is three LEDs, with not much of an identifying
symbol, isn't very helpful, at all.  I certainly don't recall which LED
is left, centre, or right, and on some keyboards you can't see the off
LEDs to work out which is LED is on.  My laptop has the LEDs buried in
the grille, they're deep, you can only see a pinprick of the light, and
the symbol is indented in black plastic, into black plastic.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.