how to make user account partially bi-lingual?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Apr 23 02:25:14 UTC 2013

On 04/23/13 09:22, William Mattison wrote:

>>> But the Chinese still doesn't display correctly in vi in Konsole and XTerrm.
>>>
>>> There are other issues, but I will initiate separate threads for those.
>> I could understand it not displaying properly in an
>  xterm.....
>> I've no problem konsole.  Should check Advanced profile settings to make sure the Encoding is set to UTF-8.
> In the Gnome terminal, doing a "more" on a UTF-8 text file containing simplified Chinese does display everything, but it's mixing fonts (both face and font).  I'll open a new thread on that.

I really don't know what that means.  Probably not enough coffee.  Can you post an image someplace?

> In the Gnome terminal, vi-ing a UTF-8 text file containing simplified Chinese, same thing - including mixed fonts.  I configured ibus to toggle with control-space, but when I type an 'o' to open a new line and try to insert new text, control-space brings up the message "E29: No inserted text yet", and "Press ENTER or type command to continue".  I typed an 'o' again to open a new line, then control-space, and this time nothing happened.  I had to toggle the language up in the upper right corner in the screen.  Then ibus worked.  But newly inserted characters show up in a mix of two fonts
>  - two faces, two sizes.

Can you send the file you're testing with?

> I had to install kde-l10n and the Chinese language pack.  But it seemed to not help.  I did all the settings and configuring I could find.  In KDE, in a Konsole terminal, when vi-ing a file, I cannot find a way to enter Chinese.  It seems to not know about ibus.  Doing "more" behaved the same as in the Gnome Terminal in Gnome.

Have a look at these....

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2H9v1dYNcvpeFlXT291V0FITE0&usp=sharing

--
The only thing worse than a poorly asked question is a cryptic answer.