synaptics gone?

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 10:40:09 UTC 2013

2013/4/23, T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, and synclient was always needed to make it work properly.
>> I don't know what changed, or when because I don't reboot it often
>> (a few times a year). I'd love to know how to force X to load the
>> synaptics
>> driver.
>
> In my experience, trying to force X to load the synaptics driver is a
> waste of time, since the kernel driver still doesn't load.  :-(

Is there a way to check whether the kernel driver is loaded? Is that a
loadable module?

> If
> you want to try it anyway, create a file
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/force-synaptics.conf with the following contents
> and restart X:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Driver         "synaptics"
>     Identifier     "TouchPad"
>     Option        "SendCoreEvents"
>     Option        "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>     Option        "SHMConfig" "on"
>  EndSection

This works. Thanks a lot!

> To get this fixed properly, you should file a bug against
> xorg-x11-drv-synaptics and let them know autodetecting your touchpad
> broke at some point:
> http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/xorg-x11-drv-synaptics

I'm not sure that is the culprit, because it works with an older kernel (3.7.9).
On the other hand, synaptics's maintainers are probably more
interested in this problem than the kernel's.

Thanks again for your help!

Andras