disk spindown

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Apr 23 21:47:24 UTC 2013

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
>> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>> I've done the following and the "hdparm -C" does show the disk spun
>>> down, but the next time I look it is spun up, and it stays up.  The disk
>
>> One thing wrong might be jumpers, Other than that, I suspect something
>> is still accessing it. udev?
>
> Thanks for the good ideas.
>
> This is a WD Caviar Green and the jumpers are only documented to slow
> down the SATA by one notch and add spread spectrum clocking for rf noise
> reduction.

Wanted to be sure that people knew "-S 120" doesn't mean "spin down after two
minutes."

> I'll have to try to check for udev.  Maybe running lsof in a loop will
> catch it.

Did you take out the rule for that? I'm not a guru, can't tell you which rule
without looking it up, but I have found it, since my hot backup drive on a USB
dongle goes down and stays that way. I bet someone will remind us which rule
checks that before you can look. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>