Using time zone UTC-5 (or GMT-5, or EST5)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Apr 23 22:31:32 UTC 2013

I am getting some data on mountable media, and the device which writes the files
runs in EST or whatever you want to call five hours west of Greenwich with no
daylight time. The problem is that on a FAT or ISO-9660 filesystem, the date and
time seem to all jump an hour during daylight time. Is there a better way to get
the time correct than to run a separate system which doesn't use daylight savings?

I have tried exporting TZ=EST5 (or EST or UTC-5 or GMT-5) to the mount command
or the rsync command, that doesn't seem to help anything, I need the incoming
data treated as EST, while the machine is at EST5EDT.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have