disk spindown

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 02:55:45 UTC 2013

On 20.04.2013 03:34, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in spinning down disks under Fedora?
>
> I've done the following and the "hdparm -C" does show the disk spun
> down, but the next time I look it is spun up, and it stays up.  The disk
> is unmounted and I've stopped and disabled smartd, so it isn't accessing
> the disks.  I don't think anything else is either.  I'm probably missing
> a trick somewhere, but what???
>
>     disk=/dev/sdc
>
>     hdparm -S 120 $disk
>     hdparm -y $disk
>     hdparm -C $disk

yum info sdparm
…
: Warning: It is possible (but unlikely) to change SCSI disk settings
: such that the disk stops operating or is slowed down. Use with care.

i.e.
/usr/bin/diskungfu:
#!/bin/sh
# Disk stop - spin down

grep -w sdc /proc/diskstats >dstat.1st
sleep 60
grep -w sdc /proc/diskstats >dstat.2nd
if cmp dstat.1st dstat.2nd >/dev/null 2>&1
then
    echo Stopping disk, spinning down…
    sdparm -f -r -q -v -C stop /dev/sdc
    exit 0