"hackers"

Richard Vickery richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 17:17:53 UTC 2013

On Apr 25, 2013 3:51 AM, "Mateusz Marzantowicz" <mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl>
wrote:

> On 25.04.2013 11:31, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> >>
> >> As you can see here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geezer, the original
> >> meaning of the term Geezer, as still used in the UK, is significantly
> >> different from how it's used in the US.  Should we also be trying to
get
> >> people to go back to that meaning?  For that matter, how about the term
> >> geek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek#Etymology  Language evolves,
and
> >> pretending that it doesn't isn't going to do anybody any good.  My
> >> advice is to ignore it and move on.
> >
> > Exactly - go back to the middle ages and all children, whether male or
> > female, were called 'girls'. A son was a 'knave girl' and a daughter a
> > 'gay girl'.
> >
> > 'Gay' as the modern term started off as 'gai' in France and referred
> > to 'courtly love'. It was later applied to promiscuous men and women
> > in the UK before morphing in the 20th century to its present definition.
> >
> > Perhaps we should go back and educate the masses as to the "true"
> > meanings of all these words too? :-)
> >

> I always knew I would learn English language with Linux. :-)
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz
> --

Ignore and move on? Would you say the same thing if we, the state, threw
you in prison for the use of the term? Civil society already does. Case in
point: use of the term "my account has been hacked" or "...website had been
hacked" have negative connotations; instead of looking to fix homes in
faulty software, they blame someone for attacking them. This has to change.
People don't normally intend to rob a bank when they go in to make a
withdrawal. They have to understand that the same goes for hackers.