Why is Fedora-19-alpha so extremely slow?

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 22:21:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 02:21:18PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 04/25/2013 02:04 PM, Richard Vickery issued this missive:
>
> >If I am on the alpha program, why am I on 3.7x rather than 3.8x?

[...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> The odds are that you have an option in your yum configuration that
> blocks upgrades in kernels (although I'd expect fedup to bypass that
> somehow). Look in your various /etc/yum* files and see if you have an
> "exclude=kernel*" thing in there.  Quick check (as root):

That kernel is not correct even for an up to date F18 system.

  $ uname -r
  3.8.8-202.fc18.x86_64

I have a feeling something else is wrong.  It would be helpful to know
all the installed kernel packages.  What are the outputs of the
following commands?

  $ rpm -q kernel | sort
  $ grep UPDATEDEFAULT /etc/sysconfig/kernel

--
Suvayu