"hackers"

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 20:05:52 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-04-27 at 10:18 -0700, les wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 15:20 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 10:12 -0700, Thomas Dineen wrote:
> > >     I have a simple question: What the hell dose this rant have to do
> > > with:
> > > "Community Support For Fedora Users"??????????
> >
> > Nothing whatever. Not that that ever stopped anyone.
> >
> > [BTW, please don't top-post on this list]
> >
> > poc
> >

> I think it does have a lot to do with Linux users and developers.  We
> are often grouped with the "hackers" negatively, and we need to make
> sure that people understand the difference.  Whether you agree or not,
> is a personal feeling.  Perceptions matter, and hacking which is using
> something in a way not necessarily intended by the original designer is
> a good hack.  If someone is breaking into systems and doing harm, that
> is cracking.

By the same argument, we could also talk about a whole raft of issues to
do with free software or free culture, but that's not the purpose of
this list. The list is specifically for discussing Fedora. The whole
"hacking" thread doesn't even mention Fedora, and would be more
appropriate in any of the other lists, blogs, hashtags or whatever that
focus on these issues.

poc