Problem with external VGA

Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA) jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com
Mon Apr 29 18:07:09 UTC 2013

From: John Pilkington [J.Pilk at tesco.net]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 08:16
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: Problem with external VGA

On 29/04/13 12:48, Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA) wrote:
> I've got a Dell Precision M4600 laptop, running Fedora 17.  Sometime
> after kernel 3.7.9-104, the external VGA output no longer works.
>
> If I boot with 3.7.9-104,with my projector attached, it is recognized.
> If I boot with 3.8.4-102, external VGA devices are not recognized.
>
> lspci:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [Quadro
> 1000M] (rev a1)
>
> (I've tried running the driver from nVidia, but that has screen
> rendering problems, with blocks of random data instead of my normal
> background pic)
>
> - Jon

/var/log/Xorg.0.log ought to show what's happening.  Or 0 ... to 9.

'the driver from nvidia'?  Which one? but perhaps you want to run nouveau?

I am running the 'nouveau' driver that comes with Fedora 17.

I was commenting that the driver from nVidia, either from their site, or from the rpmfusion site are worse. I know others report that those drivers work better for them, but in my case the nouveau driver has worked better until this recent issue.

I'll get back to you on the log files, I need to regenerate the cases with the projector attached.

- Jon