Wireless drops after kernel update. [Solved]

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 19:17:27 UTC 2013

When f18 updated the kernel to 3.8.8.203 my wireless started dropping
after a few minutes of use and had still kept dropping into kernel
update 3.8.9.200.  I finally found that IPV6 enabled may be the cause.
The procedure at:

http://www.linuxexplorers.com/2013/01/disable-ipv6-in-fedora-core-to-address-wireless-connection-timeouts/

which edits "/etc/sysctl.conf" to disable IPV6 at boot, and is
originally for f17, worked for f18 as well.  Here is my set up for
comparison:

- Acer Aspire 7520
- 05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g
WLAN (rev 01)
- 3.8.9-200.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP on an AMD w/ 4Gb RAM

so far the wireless has kept connection through two boot cycles.

Disabling function is not a permanent fix so I am open to any further
insight to this issue if anyone has any ideas.  Hope this helps someone.

Fred