turn off bash colored prompts for all users

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Aug 1 18:49:27 UTC 2013

On 08/01/2013 06:20 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 09:07:07 -0400
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> I suspect colored prompts are confusing emacs tramp.  What's the easiest way to
>> turn it off for all users (especially root)?
>
> There is a whole slew of things in /etc/profile that turn on
> annoying environment variables which enable things like that.
> Grep for the one responsible, do an rpm -q -f /etc/profile/whatever
> to see which package inflicted it on you, then yum -C erase
> that package (of course, checking to see there aren't
> other more critical things provided by the package :-).

Personally, I've never liked color ls, largely because it's almost
impossible to find a chart that tells you what the colors mean.  I used
to track down where that was set and disable it, but that can get
changed by an update.  Now, I just put the following line near the
bottom of ~/.bashrc:

alias ls=ls

and that overrides anything done earlier.  Maybe there's something
equivalent for this that will work for all users on prompts.